Thursday, June 18, 2009

Well folks, it looks like we have a protester on our hands

Kerry's mom and dad gave us a book that they had stashed in their library entitled "A Child is Born The Drama of Life Before Birth" by A. Ingelman-Sundberg - a book they bought when they were expecting Auntie Krista. It has all sorts of details about what baby is doing down there in the 9 months proceeding birth and to be honest, I avoided looking at it for a little while because some of the photos gave me the heebie geebies. I like envisioning our baby as a cute little chubby-cheeked sweetie-pie - not a shrimp. However, I picked it back up again the other day and opened to this passage which I found to be most amusing:

"The parents will soon learn what sort of temperament their child has. Some babies are calm and [this is my favorite part] 'reasonable' in the womb, and react only occasionally with a delayed movement of the hand or foot, as though to remind the outside world of their existence. Others are easily upset and protest with vigorous kicks as soon as they are not softly rocked by their mother or if absolute quietness does not prevail. The little being there in the womb is no longer anonymous. It has personality."

First of all, I love how the picture of the first child is painted - "calm" and "reasonable." In the second scenario - if your baby likes to move about a lot, as BH has made very clear, then the baby is "upset" and/or "protesting." How about your baby will be a world renowned gymnast or an all-star athlete? But no, we're going to have a drama queen, apparently. I don't mean to make it sound like the book offends me because really I take pure joy in knowing that even before I know this child, he/she has a fiercely strong personality. Look out world - here comes Baby Hutch!

No comments: