
Well, Emmitt is 7 weeks and 3 days old and I'm FINALLY getting around to writing. To start at the beginning I'll just give a very brief description of his birth for those of you that are interested. As you can gather from previous posts, Kerry and I had our hearts set on a home birth. In the end we learned that things, no matter how much you may want them, may not go as planned.
I started having contractions about 30 minutes apart at around 4am on October 26th. We called our midwives and my mom and she came to be with us -hoping that the birth would happen that day! The contractions continued throughout the day and got slightly closer together. The midwives went to another birth in Charlottesville that morning, birthed a baby there, and came to check on me at around 4pm. My contractions were still pretty far apart and my water hadn't broken so they went for some rest and told us to go on a walk. The walk made my contractions a lot closer together - about 5 minutes apart. When we got home, I watched Dancing with the Stars as I paced back and forth in front of the television - walking through the contractions.
Our midwife Kim came back to check on me again and found that I was already 8 cm. dilated. She called the other ladies and they rushed back and got everything ready to go. I started to push at around 12am on October 27th and to make a long story short, I pushed for hours before it was determined at 7am that I needed to go to the hospital to finish laboring there because the baby's heart rate was dropping everytime I pushed. Upon arriving at the hospital the doctor told me that I could still push the baby out but that they wanted to give me pitocin to make my contractions harder and closer together. One of the reasons I didn't want to have my baby in the hospital in the first place was because I didn't want drugs to be a part of my child's birth process and besides that, after hours of labor and hours of pushing, harder and closer contractions didn't sound like a good idea to me. My midwife suggested that I have an epidural so that I could get some rest; that didn't sound like a great option either. While Kerry and I cried and tried to determine what we should do, doctor number two came in and felt my belly only to report that I needed to have a c-section because the baby was just "too big" and, she said, my pelvis was too small. As heartbreaking as this was to both of us, we just wanted to proceed in whatever way would be most comfortable to everyone involved. At 9am they wheeled me in for a c-section and we heard the sweet sound of our baby crying at 9:38. I yelled out "what is it?!" And the doctor yelled back "it's a boy! and he's peeing!" Kerry and I laughed and cried tears of utter and complete bliss.
Although it wasn't the birth story we hoped for, in the end everything was harmonious and we received the best and most precious gift we've ever received. We are just so very grateful for our sweet little boy. That is of course a very short version and doesn't even scratch the surface of what the whole experience was really like but I guess it gives you a general idea!
I'll continue to try to get this blog up to date! Thanks for reading :)
No comments:
Post a Comment